HKUx: Advanced Cardiac Imaging: Cardiac Magnetic Resonance (CMR)
First ever cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) MOOC! Learn the CMR essentials through short videos, downloadable cases, and web forums. Available in multiple languages.
There is one session available:
Advanced Cardiac Imaging: Cardiac Magnetic Resonance (CMR)
About this courseSkip About this course
GOLD Award Winner of QS Reimagine Education Award 2021 in Life Sciences!
This course is for radiologists, cardiologists, radiographers/ technologists and other health professionals who want to learn more about cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging (CMR). Previous experience in CMR is not required.
The learning outcomes are:
- Understanding of the basic CMR physics and sequences in order to better understand how to acquire cardiac images and how to assess commonly used sequences (eg. Steady state free precession sequence, phase contrast to measure blood flow, T2* and magnetic resonance angiography).
- Understand the safety profile and risks of contrast agents used in CMR.
- Ability to analyse CMR images at SCMR level 1 competency such as stress perfusion, late gadolinium enhancement and post-processing for ventricular function.
- Attain hands-on experience to analyse real clinical cases from a database of 50 clinical cases, using dedicated CMR software, as well as further supplementation through our web forum.
- Basic understanding of future developments in the CMR field such as exercise CMR, artificial intelligence, feature tracking, T1 and T2 mapping.
- Provide career advice and thoughts from well-known CMR experts through exclusive interviews.
A MOOC on cardiac computed tomography (CT) is also available on this platform in order to introduce you to this complementary cardiovascular imaging technique.
- 了解基本的CMR物理和序列知识，以便更好地了解如何获取心脏图像以及如何评估常用序列（例如，稳态自由进动序列，相位对比血流测量，T2 *和磁共振血管造影）。
- 具备SCMR 1级CMR图像分析能力，例如负荷灌注，延迟强化和心室功能后处理。
Course created with support from
At a glance
- Institution: HKUx
- Subject: Medicine
- Level: Introductory
This course targets mainly radiologists, cardiologists, and health professionals who are interested in learning Cardiac CMR. Previous experience in cardiac CMR is not required, though medical background or education would be helpful.
- Associated programs:
- Professional Certificate in Advanced Cardiac Imaging
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English, 中文, 中文
- Associated skills: Radiology, Physics, X-Ray Computed Tomography, Perfusion, Contrast Medium, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Post Processing, Consolidated Media Reports, Cardiac Imaging, Angiography, T2 Tax Return (Corporation Income Tax Return), Artificial Intelligence, Cardiology, Life Sciences
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Introduction of advanced techniques such as T1 and T2 mapping, feature tracking and exercise CMR.
- The different sequences used in cardiac MRI imaging and the physics behind these sequences.
- How to acquire the cardiac imaging planes.
- How to assess the ventricular function, late gadolinium enhancement and T2* for iron overload.
- Understanding the normal appearances of the pericardium, heart muscle, valves and vasculature.
- Understand how different cardiac pathologies result in different forms of cardiac remodelling.
- An overview of the main cardiac diseases, such as coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathies (eg. hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, dilated cardiomyopathy), valvular heart disease, cardiac tumours and congenital heart disease.
- 如何分析心室功能、延迟强化以及利用 T2* 评价心肌铁负荷。
- 利用正常志愿者和真实病例学习心室功能、血流和T1 /T2 mapping分析方法。
WEEK 1: Sequences, Acquisition, Contrast Agents and Basic Physics
This MOOC will begin with a course on the common cardiac MR sequences, the physics and application behind those sequences. We will also learn how to acquire cardiac MR imaging planes.
WEEK 2: Cardiomyopathies, LGE and T2
In this section, we will teach you how to assess and analyse ventricular function, LGE and T2*. We will also give you an overview of the main common cardiac diseases, such as coronary artery disease and cardiomyopathy.
WEEK 3: Coronary Artery Disease, Aorta, Pericardium and Valves
CMR techniques such as stress perfusion imaging, CMR sequences and methods for assessing aortopathy, pericarditis with or without constriction and valvular disease will be covered in this section.
WEEK 4: Congenital Heart Disease and Paediatric Scanning
This section will cover the role of CMR in congenital heart disease. You will also learn scanning techniques and common indications for babies and children.
WEEK 5: Advanced and Future Developments
In the last section, we will cover exciting advances in cardiac MRI, such as exercise CMR, T1/T2 mapping, artificial intelligence and feature tracking.
You will also have hands-on experience to review clinical cases (eg. stress CMR with x-ray catheter angiography correlation) with tutorial videos every week.
在最后一节中，我们将向您介绍CMR的一些令人振奋的进展，例如运动负荷成像，T1/T2 mapping ，人工智能和特征追踪。
Learner testimonialsSkip Learner testimonials
- "It was an unbelievably amazing course. Material was so organized that it broadly covered many of the major topics. I really loved it. I especially loved the lecture sessions where the fundamental physical concept was covered about MR. Understanding the why it works was equally important to knowing what to do in a clinical setting. Lectures were very comprehensive and well explained by the presenters. I loved the printable notes. Very valuable materials to take home. Clinical sessions really illustrated very well some of the lecture topics. It was daunting in the beginning, but after ten cases or so, I felt very comfortable with Arterys software and was able to review the cases before watching the case video and still produced similar observations. Loving the fact that professor Pennell was able to bring in so much great insight about MR and how it's heading in the future. Very valuable stuff. Thank you Dr. Ng, et.al for bringing this class to the mass population. Can't wait to attend more classes like this from HKU again in the future."
- "This course was extremely well designed, and I am very impressed with the animations and depth of knowledge that was in this course. I think this course was more difficult than the CT course in that there were so many different images to interpret and each image had a different way of interpreting them, but I am very impressed with the diagnostic capabilities of MR. While some of the more complex conditions, such as Anderson-Fabry disease, I was not able to see on my own, I am especially impressed with the diagnostic value of cine and late gadolinium imaging. Overall, an excellent course!"
- "Thank you so much for this course. It has been most insightful and has given me the motivation to do more CMR reporting. Your lectures are very clear and your cases are very well illustrated. Looking forward to similar MOOCs."
- "Excellent Speakers and Excellent Cases. Amazing course. I've learnt a lot. Thank you very much for your hard work!"
- "Excellent course! I hope there's more to come from this very talented team. I know I'd be signing up in a heartbeat!"