DelftX: Smart and Sustainable Cities: New Ways of Digitalization & Governance
Explore the key governance challenges for smart sustainable city (SSC) initiatives and the approach required. Learn to organize co-creation and to use a roadmap that support planning, implementation, close monitoring and risks mitigation.
There is one session available:
Smart and Sustainable Cities: New Ways of Digitalization & Governance
About this courseSkip About this course
Urban planners, policy makers and managers have an important role in making cities and communities more sustainable and resilient by incentivizing and developing smart solutions. Medellín in Colombia is a good example of how effective governance and cooperation with citizens led to the remake of the city and transformed it to a safer environment with a thriving economy. But how can those initiatives be sustained and governed? How can we deal with the challenges along the way, like effective stakeholders’ engagement, conflicting interests, decision-making under deep uncertainty, interdependent problems, spatial justice, and the transformation towards a digital society? To sum it up: building smart sustainable cities initiatives requires a strong governance capacity and new approaches!
This course will:
- provide the principles for incentivising, planning, developing and managing sustainable smart city initiatives
- present an overview of the drivers and barriers for SSC development
- present sustainability challenges and tools for SSC development
- show practical recommendations to strengthen SSC governance capacity
- introduce a smart city governance roadmap
- explain the conditions for effective stakeholder engagement and ways to organize co-creation pathways
- clarify the regulatory and legal framework for SSC including privacy and cybersecurity issues
- describe the conditions to implement digital innovation that benefit citizens including data governance
- show the importance of close monitoring and assessing SSC projects including data reliability and algorithms
- equip you with knowledge and learnings from case studies from various projects that were carried out in Lain America, next to familiarizing you with common challenges that arise in the process. These cases range from urban transportation to participatory budgeting, safety and waste management applications, but always making the connection with the governance and sustainability aspects.
The course will be moderated in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
This MOOC is a spin-off of the EU-funded Cap4City project. This course has been developed, and will be delivered by experts in the field of Smart Sustainable Cities from twelve different universities in Latin America and Europe. You will find more information on the instructors while you navigate the course.
At a glance
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated skills: Reliability, Cooperation, Planning, Budgeting, Urban Sustainability, Stakeholder Engagement, Waste Management, Urban Transportation, Decision Making, Innovation, Bilingual (Spanish/English), Resilience, Cyber Security, Governance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Review governance challenges for SSC
- Reflect and debate on how to set priorities for smart sustainable city initiatives planning and management
- Understand how to engage stakeholders and involve citizens in SSC development and apply co-creation pathways with stakeholders
- Observe the conditions and risks related to IT and data governance in SSC
- Define a draft of a governance and regulatory framework for implementing and monitoring SSC initiatives
- Apply a roadmap for governing SSC initiatives in a real case
Developing governance capacity and a comprehensive regulatory framework. Roadmap.
Addressing sustainability challenges
Planning Smart Sustainable Cities initiatives
Managing Smart Sustainable Cities initiatives
Effective Stakeholder engagement for co-design and co-creation
Managing digital innovation for SSC and ensuring trustworthy AI.
The course includes a number of assignments related to the roadmap