What you will learn
- Leadership skills and best practices for managing human resources.
- Integrated marketing management and strategies for the modern hospitality industry.
- Technologies and innovations in hospitality and beyond.
- Luxury product concepts, power of luxury brands, and evaluation of luxury experiences.
The International Hospitality Management MicroMasters program offers a new way of nurturing talents for the dynamic global hospitality industry.
This program is designed to develop leaders for the global hospitality industry. You will gain in-depth knowledge about the luxury market, the latest technologies in the field, and the best marketing, human resources, and other important business practices.
You will learn through a blend of strategic perspectives and pragmatic implementation, problem identification and decision-making, as well as interdisciplinary theories and management applications.
If you want to further your education, your MicroMasters program certificate can fast track your study for the on-campus Master of Science in International Hospitality Management, International Tourism and Convention Management, International Wine Management program or online Master of Science in Hospitality Business Innovation at a fraction of the cost.
*You have the option to take one or more courses at a time, depending on your schedule. There is no necessity to take all four courses at the same time.
“In the digital age, everyone has access to online resources. However, a study program developed by a reputable university offers more comprehensive and well-designed content and delivery that attract first-hand endorsements from leaders in academia and industry, such as the following: “The program format of the MicroMasters (MM) in International Hospitality Management is fascinating, easy to use, and has a balance of complexity and simplicity. By being up-to-date and concise, the MM complements my MSc in International Tourism and Convention Management study and develops my career path. I am now a project officer in the Evangelical Lutheran Church Social Service, Hong Kong. I am responsible for an innovative social program in destigmatizing the local community recycling through public education. The knowledge and training I have received from the MM and my postgraduate study together greatly enhance my skills in project management.””
Karcsi Lam MicroMasters Graduate
"The MicroMasters program was the perfect stepping stone for me on my path to pursuing a Master's degree in the School of Hotel and Tourism Management (SHTM) of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. It is an excellent choice for students transitioning from undergraduate to Master's study. Not only has it given me the opportunity to learn from experienced professors and professionals in the industry from around the world, but it has also assisted me to complete my Master's degree more efficiently through credit transfer. Even better, the online learning mode allows me to study anytime, anywhere! That offers me great learning flexibility without the constraints of study time and space."
Ziwei Zhu MicroMasters Graduate
Courses in this program
HKPolyUx's International Hospitality Management MicroMasters® Program
- Started Aug 26, 20226–8 hours per week, for 8 weeks
Understand the power of a luxury brand and gain the business skills needed to provide premium goods and services within the hotel and tourism industry
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all four MicroMasters program courses.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate may apply for PolyU’s on-campus Master of Science in International Hospitality Management, International Tourism and Convention Management, International Wine Management program or online Master of Science in Hospitality Business Innovation. Once admitted, you will be able to transfer 9 of the 31 credits required to complete the full Master’s degree.
The Entrance Requirements for the Master of Science in International Hospitality Management, International Tourism and Convention Management or International Wine Management program at HKPolyU are as follows:
- A Bachelor's degree in the areas of hotel and tourism management, recreation and leisure management, business studies, management, accounting and finance, or other business and management related areas with industry work experience of not less than one year; OR
- A Bachelor's degree in areas other than those listed above, with current or past employment in the hotel and tourism industry for not less than one year; OR
- Equivalent professional qualifications may also be considered.
If the applicant is not a native speaker of English, and the Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction is not English, a minimum score of 80 (Internet-based) or 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or an overall Band Score of at least 6 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required.
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) also offers a pathway to credit toward RIT's Master of Science in Professional Studies. If accepted into the program at RIT, students will be eligible for up to 9 credits which will serve toward one concentration required for this interdisciplinary degree. The MS in Professional Studies – which can be completed online or in-person – is a customized, flexible program that meets industry demand by enabling students to strategically combine multiple, complementary fields of study to reflect their unique career and educational goals.
- The demand for hospitality and tourism professionals is much higher than the supply. Tourism industry accounts for 319 million jobs in 2018, equivalent to 1 in 10 jobs in the global economy.
- Exciting career opportunities include brand managers, IT professionals, human capital experts, marketing executives, and consultants.
Meet your instructors from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (HKPolyUx)
Experts from HKPolyUx committed to teaching online learning
The MicroMasters program in International Hospitality and Management is a perfect extension of HKPolyU SHTM vision and approach - a blend of the world's leading integrated teaching and research hotel plus advanced interactive technology to develop outstanding leaders for the tourism industry - broadcasting top-tier teaching to thousands or even millions students around the world.
The MicroMasters in International Hospitality Management offered by the School of Hotel and Tourism Management is hosted on the renowned edX online learning platform. It integrates current topics and issues in hospitality and tourism research with industry practice. It is designed for industry professionals, academics and students who want to keep abreast of the latest trends in the industry as well as acquire in-depth knowledge in the field. The programme instructors are experts in their fields who interweave their research findings and practical experiences into the courses they teach. You will enjoy great video content, well-designed assignments, and continuous interaction with peers, tutors, and instructors.
- Anyone interested in learning about current development of global tourism and hospitality industry. Managerial staff of hospitality and tourism companies. Employees in hospitality, tourism and related businesses who aspire to become senior managers in the industry.
- Unfortunately, learners residing in one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.