What you will learn
- Understand how to work in a Linux environment.
- Review the most important Linux methods and tools required.
- Gain a strong foundation for working comfortably and productively in open source development communities.
- Create new repositories or clone existing ones with Git.
- Leverage Git to commit new changes, review revision histories, and examine differences with older versions (diffs).
- Use Git to work with different branches, merge repositories, and collaborate with a distributed development team.
The “Open Source Software Development, Linux and Git” Professional Certificate Program is designed for developers with experience working on any operating system who want to understand the basics of open source software development. The program surveys how open source software works, including advantages of using it, methods of working in OSS communities, governance models and licensing choices. It delves into Linux systems and Linux tools for developers, including installation, desktop environments, text editors, important commands and utilities, command shells and scripts, filesystems and compiling software. It also provides a thorough introduction to Git, the source control system that arose out of the Linux kernel community, that enables widely distributed development to operate efficiently.
This program will prepare learners to work comfortably and productively in open source development communities and Linux environments. It shows learners have mastered important Linux methods and requisite tools, can use Git to create new repositories or clone existing ones, commit new changes, review revision histories, examine differences with older versions, work with different branches, merge repositories, and work with a distributed development team.
A program subscription gives you full verified access to all courses and materials within the program you’ve enrolled in, for as long as your subscription is active. Monthly subscription pricing can help you manage your enrollment costs — instead of paying more up front, you pay a smaller amount per month for only as long as you need access. You can cancel your subscription at any time for no additional fee.
Courses in this program
LinuxFoundationX's Open Source Software Development, Linux and Git Professional Certificate
- 1–2 hours per week, for 14 weeks
Start your open source software (OSS) adventure today by learning the key concepts of developing open source software and how to work productively in a Linux environment.
- 1–2 hours per week, for 14 weeks
Get a thorough introduction to Git, the source control system that arose out of the Linux kernel community, that enables widely distributed software development to operate efficiently.
- 92% of hiring managers are having difficulty finding enough open source talent, meaning there are huge opportunities for those possessing open source skills.
- Employers are prioritizing hires with certifications and other credentials that demonstrate they have the ability to do the job well, with 88% preferring these candidates.
- Cloud technology is the knowledge area most in demand by employers, and since the majority of the cloud runs on Linux, it is essential to have a good foundation in Linux and open source to pursue a cloud career.
Meet your instructor from The Linux Foundation (LinuxFoundationX)
Experts from LinuxFoundationX committed to teaching online learning
Grow your career. Start your program subscription today.
- Immediate access to all 3 courses in this program
- Course videos, lectures, and readings
- Practice problems and assessments
- Graded assignments and exams
- edX learner support
- Shareable verified certificates after successfully completing a course or program