What you will learn
- To apply the Six Sigma methodology in your work or research, using the DMAIC process improvement cycle for identifying problems and quantitatively assess the impact of process changes
- To contribute actively in Six Sigma improvement projects by applying the necessary statistical analyses, interpreting the results, and driving change
- To perform process capacity analysis to evaluate process performance in terms of resource utilization and set up times in order to optimize throughput and minimize inventory
- To initiate Lean manufacturing transformation and analyze the new process flows to quantitatively assess productivity improvements
- To coach and motivate your colleagues to improve quality and productivity with Six Sigma and Lean
Learn how to drive quality and productivity programs by mastering the powerful analytical and management tools of the Six Sigma methodology and the revolutionary concepts of Lean Management.
Six Sigma and Lean enable organizations to measure and analyze production processes, to eliminate waste and to evolve their management structures in order to motivate employees and improve quality and productivity.
The series of courses is provided in collaboration with the TUM School of Management Executive Education Center and the Chair of Production and Supply Chain Management.
In this Professional Certificate program, you will learn the fundamentals of the Six Sigma methodology and Lean Manufacturing. You will learn the DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control) process improvement cycle and examine how the principles of Lean production improve quality and productivity and enable organizational transformation.
You will be challenged to learn both the quantitative and qualitative methods associated with Six Sigma and Lean, including:
- problem definition;
- baseline performance measurement and process capability;
- measurement system analysis;
- root cause analysis;
- regression and correlation;
- design of experiments;
- control charts implementation.
Both descriptive and inferential statistics will be applied and all concepts are exercised using online problems and interactive exercises and case studies.
A TUM Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certificate will help you advance your career, increase your salary earnings and improve your organization through your mastery of quality skills.
Upon successful completion of this program, learners will earn the TUM Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certificate, confirming mastery of Lean Six Sigma theory to a Green Belt level. The Six Sigma material is based on the American Society for Quality (www.asq.org) Six Sigma Body of Knowledge up to a Green Belt level. The Lean Production course material is based on the TUM School of Management’s course in Lean Operations
The Professional Certificate program is designed as preparation for a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification project. If you are interested in obtaining both the TUM Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt and Green Belt certificates, please go to our Six Sigma: Green Belt Certification Project.
NOTE: In order to achieve the TUM Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certificate it is MANDATORY to complete all 3 courses mentioned below, pursuing all 3 Verified Certificates. Then, automatically, you will earn the Professional Certificate. Courses can be taken in any order, but since Six Sigma: Analyze, Improve, Control builds on the material learned in Six Sigma: Define and Measure, we recommend you to take Define and Measure first.
Courses in this program
TUMx's Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt: Quantitative Tools for Quality and Productivity Professional Certificate
- 3–4 hours per week, for 8 weeks
An introduction to the Six Sigma methodology and the DMAIC cycle for process improvement with a focus on the Define and Measure phases, including basic statistics for understanding sampling plans and calculating process capability.
- 3–4 hours per week, for 8 weeks
Learn how to statistically analyze process data to determine the root cause and propose solutions for process problems, to implement quality management tools, such as 8D and the 5 Whys, and to understand the concept of Design for Six Sigma (DFSS).
- 3–4 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Learn how to apply key elements of Lean Production, from minimizing inventory and reducing setup times, to using 5S and Kaizen, in order to improve quality and productivity in your workplace.
- Average salary for professionals with the Six Sigma Yellow Belt certification is $68,294 (source: Burning Glass)
- Those with any level of Six Sigma training earned more than those without any (+$17,357 in U.S, +$12,475 in Canada) (Source: ASQ.org)
- Career prospects include Quality Assurance & Control Manager/Engineer, Customer Quality & Reliability Manager, Quality Systems Coordinator, Performance Acceleration Manager, Productivity Engineer, Change Manager, Supplier Development, Value Chain Manager
Meet your instructors
Six Sigma and Lean are key to quality and productivity through its powerful combination of best practice tools and data-driven methodologies in a structured way. At Infineon, aspiration towards continuous improvement and problem solving is deeply anchored in our company culture. It enhances the performance of our products, processes and services in terms of quality and stability. Our method to support continuous improvement and problem solving is called Thinking Six Sigma & Lean. This unique improvement methodology is based on the Six Sigma DMAIC flow and enriched with 8D tools and Lean methods to improve the quality and efficiency of our business processes. “Thinking Six Sigma & Lean” is deployed at all production sites and a cornerstone of our global quality excellence program to serve the automotive and security industries. The edX Professional Program offered by the Technical University of Munich Six Sigma and Lean: Quantitative Tools for Quality and Productivity is one of the best programs available for developing quality professionals that know how to solve problems and can apply the Six Sigma and Lean toolset. The program provides solid Six Sigma and Lean fundamentals up to a Green Belt level, reinforced with practice and test questions and provides real depth on how these tools are applied in industry, using case studies and real examples from participants.
- You can purchase every course in the program at a 10% discount using the green “Pursue the Program” button at the top left of this page. You can still take each course in the session that works best for you. After you purchase the program, you’ll have 24 months to select a session for each course. You can also complete and purchase the courses one by one. After you’ve earned a verified certificate from each course in the program, you’ll automatically receive the program credential. You can start each course in the Audit track, then upgrade before the course’s payment deadline for a verified certificate. You don’t need to complete all of the courses at once in order to earn the program credential. Courses will be re-offered on an ongoing basis, and all certificates count towards the program credential. There is no overall deadline to complete the program, but individual courses do have deadlines that you can see when enrolled. The program page lists all future course sessions that we have scheduled at this time. Try looking for the “more dates” option above the enrollment button to see future course listings.