About this course
This course is a two-week conversation about perceptions of "belonging," and how they affect our cities and communities. We'll speak with researchers and residents. We'll explore film, television, photography that show representations of belonging and marginalization in the Historic West End of Charlotte and in the banlieues on the outskirts of Paris. The course will create opportunities for you to learn about your neighborhood and your city.
As a way to explore the role of language in belonging, we will be offering different parts of the course in English and in French (providing translations).
What you'll learn
- How to recognize markers of belonging and marginalization
- Ways to interpret representations of belonging and marginalization
- Broad histories of housing in the U.S. and in France
- Methods of uncovering histories of housing in your own city
- How to take action to #createbelonging in your own communities
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $29.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally