About this course
Learners will understand how to record body measurements used to create trousers for men and women, and develop the knowledge and skills to adapt the basic blocks into unique designs, with activities to create different waistbands, pockets, openings, and different trouser shapes and designs. Learners will develop the skills to create trouser patterns, and adapt patterns into individual designs; creating specification sheets for commercial patterns and manufacturing. With tutorials in pattern making and sewing techniques, learners will develop the skills to hand or machine sew garments to fit their own body shape, developing the skills and knowledge to manufacture clothing, including fit analysis, and adjusting the fit of clothing to specific body shapes and size. Gaining valuable knowledge in the art of made to measure clothing, and how to obtain a perfect fit of a garment. The skills obtained from the technical creation side of the course will give learners the understanding of garment details and components, and provide the foundation to design a whole range of different trouser designs, leg lengths, widths, pocket styles and fabrics used in different casual and tailored looks.
This course will prepare learners for a career within the fashion industry, gaining a foundation of knowledge to complete an undergraduate programme, or work within the fashion industry as a designer, pattern cutter, merchandiser or fit technologist. They will understand how to make patterns, sew garments, fit to a person and design skills in creating trousers to specific body shapes. The knowledge and skills obtained in this course will provide a foundation of core abilities, which are used within the fashion industry.
What you'll learn
· How to make patterns for specific garments
· How to assemble garments
· The history of fashionable trouser designs
· How to design fashion garments
· How to create made to measure trousers
· Week 2 - Create a trouser block made from measurements, along with sewing a fitting sample, and completing a fit analysis
· Week 3 – Develop trouser adaptations; waist finishes, fly front opening, and pocket styles and designs. Along with educational content on fabrics which work for fashion garments.
· Week 4&5 - Gain appreciation of the history of designer trousers and develop the skills to design a unique range of trousers using a template. Taking one trouser design, and completing the industry specification sheet for production, creating the pattern and sewing a finished sample.
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $100.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
a. No, we will teach you how to design, by also teaching you how clothes are made.
2. Do I need a sewing machine?
a. No, you can make a fitting sample by hand sewing and present a finished range of skirt designs instead of a finished sample if you choose.
3. Can a man take this course?
a. Of course, it is open to everyone! The course will provide construction and design information for men and women.
4. I am a large lady, can I take this course?
a. This course teaches made to measure, so you can be any size, shape, height or age.
5. Can a child take this course?
a. Of course. This course can be completed by anyone old enough to use a hand sewing needle, under supervision if required.