Developing Cloud Native Applications
About this courseSkip About this course
Please Note: Learners who successfully complete this IBM course can earn a skill badge — a detailed, verifiable and digital credential that profiles the knowledge and skills you’ve acquired in this course. Enroll to learn more, complete the course and claim your badge!
Knowledge and practice of Cloud Native methodologies and tools is a must for modern software development lifecycle whether you are starting your career in Cloud Development or upskilling your programming knowledge.
In this course you will get and overview and grounding in Cloud Native application development and DevOps practices. You will become familiar with tools and services for continuous delivery and deployment of applications on Cloud.
This course contains several hands-on labs that will enable you to practice what you learn with Cloud based tools and services in a no-charge IBM Cloud account.
You will also understand how REST APIs work and their JSON data format. Moreover, you’ll interact with examples of using REST APIs with IBM Watson AI services. And as a modern developer, you will utilize a Web IDE and Git to create and manage your code.
Furthermore, you will create and deploy a Node.js application on public cloud, that uses REST APIs to store and access data in a NoSQL Cloudant database.
If you are enrolled in the verified track (paid track) in any course that is a part of a MicroBachelors program, including this course, you are eligible for coaching at no additional cost. Please note that coaching is only available via SMS to U.S. phone lines.
Our coaches (real humans) are ready to help you with career exploration, navigating resources, staying motivated, and solving problems along the way to your goals.
Learn more about the value of coaching directly from one of our coaches, Erin.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Describe Cloud Native and DevOps concepts and methodologies
- Understand how containers and kubernetes drive cloud native application development
- Build and Deploy code to IBM Cloud using DevOps tools and services
- Create a Node.js application on Cloud
- Utilize REST APIs in your app to store and retrieve data in a NoSQL Cloudant Database
- Create a Git repository to manage your source code
- Describe the characteristics of REST APIs
- Explain the advantages of the JSON data format
- View and edit code using a Web IDE
- Access your IBM Cloud account and services using CLI and Web UI
- Identify and navigate DevOps, AI, and Database services in IBM Cloud
Module 1: Introduction to Cloud Native
- Cloud Native Overview
Module 2: Getting Started with IBM Cloud
- IBM Cloud Overview
- Building in the IBM Cloud
- Creating and Managing an IBM Cloud Application
- Managing Your IBM Cloud Users and Resources
Module 3: IBM Cloud CLI and Tools
- Introduction to Node.js
- Using the Command Line Interface (CLI)
- IBM Cloud Developer Tools for Visual Studio Code
Module 4: DevOps on IBM Cloud
- Overview of IBM Cloud Continuous Delivery
- Web IDE (Edit Code)
- Source Code Management (Git Repo) and Issue Tracker
- Build and Deploy Automated Delivery Pipeline
Module 5: REST Architecture and Watson APIs
- Introduction to Representational State Transfer (REST)
- Using REST APIs with Watson AI Services
Module 6: Introduction to Data Services in IBM Cloud
- Overview of Database Services in IBM Cloud
- Getting Started with IBM Cloudant
Module 7: Final Project