About this course
After developing basic tools to handle parametric models, we will explore how to answer more advanced questions, such as the following:
- How suitable is a given model for a particular dataset?
- How to select variables in linear regression?
- How to model nonlinear phenomena?
- How to visualize high-dimensional data?
This course is part of the MITx MicroMasters Program in Statistics and Data Science. Master the skills needed to be an informed and effective practitioner of data science. You will complete this course and three others from MITx, at a similar pace and level of rigor as an on-campus course at MIT, and then take a virtually-proctored exam to earn your MicroMasters, an academic credential that will demonstrate your proficiency in data science or accelerate your path towards an MIT PhD or a Master's at other universities. To learn more about this program, please visit https://micromasters.mit.edu/ds/.
What you'll learn
- Construct estimators using method of moments and maximum likelihood, and decide how to choose between them
- Quantify uncertainty using confidence intervals and hypothesis testing
- Choose between different models using goodness of fit test
- Make prediction using linear, nonlinear and generalized linear models
- Perform dimension reduction using principal component analysis (PCA)
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $300.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.