About this courseSkip About this course
The course covers the subject in an accessible and practical manner. Through video lectures, group assignments and exercises, you will be familiarized with the advantages and disadvantages of GDSE, the practical consequences of GDSE and its technological feasibilities and infeasibilities. You will learn about real-world experiences of users and examples of GDSE applications such as outsourcing, offshore software development, near-shoring and multi-partner systems development.
As a verified learner you will gain additional knowledge through hands-on experience with GDSE by working together with team members from different countries as a distributed team; and through analysis of best-practice examples. Together with other verified participants you will prepare a number of artefacts that build on the body of knowledge of GDSE and so have the chance to contribute to this growing field of knowledge.
Guest lectures from industry experts and researchers will be an integral part of the course. These lectures will demonstrate how GDSE is handled in industry, how decision-makers lead their teams in this context, and what is the state-of-the-art in GDSE research. The course consists of seven main topics:
- Globally Distributed Software Engineering
- Distributed Agile
- The Software Engineer and GDSE
- Boardroom: C-level Decision-Making
- GDSE Research
- Time and Cultural Differences
- GDSE Locations: Near-shoring and Offshoring
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- To understand the main constructs of globally distributed software engineering theory.
- How to apply the principles of globally distributed software engineering in your own company’s practice.
- To produce an artifact that adds to the overall body of knowledge of globally distributed software engineering.
- To identify the main concepts in decision-making and leadership roles in a globally distributed context.
- Emiel Romein - Software Development Manager at Exact Online.
- Eelco Rustenburg - Senior trainer at Gladwell Academy and partner of Blinklane Consulting.
- Jeff Sutherland - the inventor and co-creator of Scrum.
- Suzanne Kelder – Executive Coach at KPN and former CIO of Base Company.
- Svenja de Vos – CTO at Leaseweb.
- Darja Šmite - Professor at Blekinge Institute of Technology and a part-time research scientist at SINTEF ICT.
- Erik Ammerlaan - Software Engineer at Exact.
- Prajeesh Prathap - Delivery Engineer and expert for DevOps, Continuous Delivery and Application Lifecycle Management at InfoSupport.
- Dianne Elsinga - Global Team Expert at Prowareness.
- Paul Tjia - Senior consultant and expert on sourcing and country selection at GPI Consultancy.
- Maran Gunasekaran - Security consultant at Prowareness, Bangalore, India.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$50 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
The course materials of this course are Copyright Delft University of Technology and are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC-BY-NC-SA) 4.0 International License.