About this courseSkip About this course
Follow leading specialists, researchers and teachers of Implant Dentistry from more than 10 countries around the world led by HKU's Implant Dentistry MOOC team to explore the biology, the technology and clinical management in implant dentistry today.
In this 5-Week-5-Module course, you will learn about what implant dentistry is all about, covering the comprehensive spectrum of successful implant practice. A key aim of this course is to help learners set the foundations for an effective and successful practice in implant dentistry, in particular practitioners who will soon begin their first steps in implant dentistry.
Learners will be exposed to a sound theoretical background and practical clinical work, learning through videos and activities that closely integrate academic knowledge from evidence-based research and surgical techniques based on best practices, providing a comprehensive and well-balanced view of the implant process.
Learners in the course will have the opportunity to follow authentic challenging patient cases and take active part in the decision making, discussing their treatment plans with fellow online peers, course mentors and instructors. Each week, learners can apply newly gained knowledge in implant dentistry to solve selected clinical cases of five authentic implant patients online.
It is the hope of the HKU Implant Dentistry course team that we help dental practitioners, dental students, medical professionals and those in related fields to understand the realistic challenges and potential in implant dentistry, and empower them to plot their own course towards a safe, effective and successful career serving patients with Implant Dentistry.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
After completing this course the learner will:
- Understand the fundamental biological principles of tissue integration
- Understand the evolution of Implant technology and the clinical implications
- Identify the key stages of patient examination, communication and risk assessment and prior to implant therapy
- Practice decision making as directed by the principles of comprehensive treatment planning in Implant Therapy
- Understand the main procedures, techniques, potential and limitations of modern implant surgery
- Understand the current techniques, procedures and decision making in implant prosthodontics.
- Identify and understand major threats and complications of implant therapy both in the short and long term
- Devise maintenance strategies to ensure successful and long serving treatments with dental implants
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$99 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally