About this courseSkip About this course
Containers and Cloud Native are the most significant invention in IT since the introduction of virtualization. Everyone from a small startup to a large multinational corporation is transitioning to this technology and they are looking for people who have the skills.
After completing this course, you will be able to build applications the Cloud Native way and be able to deploy your applications at a scale that will make Google envious.
This course introduces you to containers and explains how containers differ from virtual machines. It also covers the importance of containers in cloud computing as well as the emerging ecosystem of related technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, and Istio.
This course is of interest to anyone who wants to be a cloud practitioner and use container skills as developers, architects, system engineers, network specialists and many other roles. The material also serves the needs of those who perform the tasks of advising, building, moving and managing cloud solutions.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Understand the benefits of containers
- Build and run a container image
- Understand Kubernetes architecture
- Write a YAML deployment file
- Expose deployment as a service
- Manage applications with Kubernetes
- Use ReplicaSets, auto-scaling, rolling updates and service bindings
- Understand the benefits of OpenShift, Istio and other important tools
- Introduction to containers
- Introduction to Docker
- Building container images
- Using container registries
- Running containers
- Understanding container orchestration
- Understanding Kubernetes architecture
- Introduction to Kubernetes objects
- Using basic Kubernetes objects
- Using the kubectl command
- Leveraging Kubernetes
- Using ReplicaSets
- Using autoscaling
- Understanding rolling updates
- Understanding ConfigMaps and secrets
- Using service bindings
Module 4 - The Kubernetes ecosystem
- The Kubernetes Ecosystem
- Introduction to Red Hat OpenShift
- Red Hat OpenShift and Kubernetes
*Module 5 * - Final Project
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$99 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.