3–5 hours per week
Progress at your own speed
This course is archived
Future dates to be announced
Introduction to Corporate Finance
About this courseSkip About this course
This course will provide a general understanding of financial valuation, quantitative analysis of individual and corporate financing, and savings/investment decisions.
You will learn how to evaluate what an asset is worth, and how a variety of tools can help investors and managers make investment decisions. These tools include:
- Models such as the Gordon Growth Model and the 2-stage Dividend Discount Model;
- Programs such as Excel and a financial calculator;
- Formulas such as annuity, perpetuity, and growing perpetuity.
You will explore the time value of money and learn how investors value streams of cash flows that arrive at different times.
We will also discuss risk and return characteristics of different marketable securities, consider what it means for an investment to be risky, and examine methods of valuing assets.
At a glance
- Institution: UBCx
- Subject: Business & Management
- Level: Intermediate
- Basic mathematics concepts
- Candidates interested in pursuing the MicroMasters program in Business Fundamentals are advised to complete BUS1x Business Foundations and BUS2x Business Communications before undertaking this course
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated skills: Investment Decisions, Dividend Discount Models, Corporate Finance, Quantitative Analysis, Time Value Of Money, Annuities, Investments, Cash Flows, Securities (Finance)
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- How to evaluate the financial benefits associated with investment decisions
- How investors value streams of cash flows that arrive at different times
- What an asset is ‘worth’ and what tools you need to make the best investment decision about it
- How firms evaluate and compare capital investment projects
About the instructors
Who can take this course?Unfortunately, learners residing in one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.
Interested in this course for your business or team?
Train your employees in the most in-demand topics, with edX For Business.