About this courseSkip About this course
In this course you will learn to use some mathematical tools that can help predict and analyze sporting performances and outcomes. This course will help coaches, players, and enthusiasts to make educated decisions about strategy, training, and execution. We will discuss topics such as the myth of the Hot Hand and the curse of the Sports Illustrated cover; how understanding data can improve athletic performance; and how best to pick your Fantasy Football team. We will also see how elementary Calculus provides insight into the biomechanics of sports and how game theory can help improve an athlete’s strategy on the field.
In this course you will learn:
- How a basic understanding of probability and statistics can be used to analyze sports and other real life situations.
- How to model physical systems, such as a golf swing or a high jump, using basic equations of motion.
- How to best pick your Fantasy Football, March Madness, and World Cup winners by using ranking theory to help you determine athletic and team performance.
By the end of the course, you will have a better understanding of math, how math is used in the sports we love, and in our everyday lives.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Draw conclusions from mathematical analysis using inductive reasoning
- Evaluate data using principles of probability
- Assess risk and develop strategies that drive event outcomes
- Model physical processes in order to predict (or change) outcomes
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$50 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally