About this courseSkip About this course
The course explains the joint International Monetary Fund-World Bank (IMF-WB) MTDS framework and provides comprehensive training on the accompanying analytical tool, the MTDS AT. The MTDS AT is useful for analyzing quantitatively the cost-risk characteristics of an existing debt portfolio, as well as the cost-risk trade-offs of alternative financing strategies. Participants are taught how to develop financing strategies by taking account of the composition of the existing debt portfolio, developments in key macroeconomic and market conditions, potential sources of financing, and linkages with broader medium-term macroeconomic framework, including debt sustainability.
This course was jointly developed by the IMF Monetary and Capital Markets Department (MCM) and the IMF Institute for Capacity Development in collaboration with the WB and funded by the Debt Management Facility (DMF).
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Understand the framework for the development and formulation of a medium-term public debt management strategy.
2. Explain why the framework matters for sustainable economic growth and development.
3. Understand the role of the Analytical Tool in debt strategy formulation.
4. Measure the costs and risks associated with a country’s existing and potential future public debt portfolios, using a range of indicators.
5. Generate projections of key macroeconomic variables and market prices for use in debt strategy analysis.
6. Develop suitable future financing strategies for comparison.
7. Understand how different financing strategies impact the evolution of the public debt portfolio and its cost and risk characteristics over time, considering initial macroeconomic and financing conditions.
8. Prepare a medium-term debt management strategy (DMS) document based on a chosen strategy.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$25 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally