What you will learn
- Identify an operations system with some known standard configurations
- Make an assessment of the complexity of an operations system
- Compute cycle times for operations and estimate capacity of the system
- Understand the various components of a supply chain and the need to configure them appropriately
- Identify methods for reducing bullwhip effect in supply chains
- Understand and relate the concept of Lean Management to one’s own business situation
- Initiate process & productivity improvement using NVA Analysis
- Use specific tools and techniques to analyze quality problems
- Monitor a process using control charts
View the course Welcome video from instructor B. Mahadevan.
Have you ever wondered about the right methods to improve productivity, configure your supply chain or address the demand on hand?
In recent years, businesses have strived to improve productivity and quality, reduce costs and delivery times, and embrace flexibility and innovation. These strategies are part of the Operations Management (OM) activities that service and manufacturing organizations engage in.
Operations Management helps you to understand the role of OM in a firm and to develop abilities to structure and solve operations related problems. The course will empower you with skills to address important aspects of business operations including capacity, productivity, quality, and supply chain.
You will understand how operations in an organization are configured and factors that can potentially drive the complexity of managing such operations. We will also introduce concepts like estimating capacity, identifying bottlenecks, and de-bottlenecking.
Throughout the course, you will join us in discussions on productivity improvement methods, development of quality assurance systems and configuration of supply chains.
The course will equip you with the right tools, techniques and skills to estimate, compute, analyze and configure key elements of operations management.
Before you start
- Instructor-Led: course contains assignments and exams that have specific due dates, and you complete the course within a defined time period.
- Course ends: Mar 23, 2019
Meet Your Instructors
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.