About this courseSkip About this course
This course is part of the Certified Lifestyle Medicine Executive MicroMasters program which consists of 9 courses and a capstone exam. After completing the program, you can also apply to Doane University to complete your MBA online for approximately $10,500 (learn more about the program here).
The connections between prevention, wellness and behavioral health science with healthcare delivery, quality and safety, lifestyle medicine-based disease management and economic issues of value and risk—all in the service of specific populations and subpopulations - need to be made in order that disease can be prevented and managed within these populations.
Learners who take this course will come away with the knowledge to be able to identify key socio-economic and cultural determinants of population health outcomes, analyze the impact of socio-cultural factors on access to health care and adjust health promotions and interventions accordingly.
This course is part of the Certified Lifestyle Medicine MicroMasters program. For an introduction to lifestyle medicine, see the Lifestyle Medicine Competencies Professional Certificate program.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Identify the three types of disease prevention care/management
- Identify determinants of health and their effect on healthcare outcomes and access.
- Discuss the social and economic imperative of health promotion.
- Define the concept of lifestyle medicine-based disease management and understand the economic case.
- Identify the need for and value of integrating lifestyle medicine into the community, including worksites and healthcare institutions.
- Characterize the differences between chronic care and preventive care management.
- Identify key characteristics and components of a successful lifestyle medicine-based population health model as they pertain to disease prevention and management.
- Describe the factors that play a role in the shift to population health management and leverage points in the system for intervention.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$99 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.