What you will learn
- Basics of Bayesian statistics and recursive estimation theory
- Describe and model common sensors, and their measurements
- Compare typical motion models used for positioning, in order to know when to use them in practical problems
- Describe the essential properties of the Kalman filter (KF) and apply it on linear state space models
- Implement key nonlinear filters in Matlab, in order to solve problems with nonlinear motion and/or sensor models
- Select a suitable filter method by analysing the properties and requirements in an application
The course is designed for students who seek to gain a solid understanding of Bayesian statistics and how to use it to fuse information from different sensors. We emphasize object positioning problems, but the studied techniques are applicable much more generally. The course contains a series of videos, quizzes and hand-on assignments where you get to implement many of the key techniques and build your own sensor fusion toolbox.
The course is self-contained, but we highly recommend that you also take the course ChM015x: Multi-target Tracking for Automotive Systems. Together, these courses give you an excellent foundation to tackle advanced problems related to perceiving the traffic situation around an autonomous vehicle using observations from a variety of different sensors, such as, radar, lidar and camera.
Before you start
- Instructor-Led: course contains assignments and exams that have specific due dates, and you complete the course within a defined time period.
- Course ends: Mar 23, 2019
Meet Your Instructors
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.