About this courseSkip About this course
Learn how to (re)position your organization, orchestrate strategic alliances and assess strategic options from an ethical perspective. This advanced strategic management course helps you translate strategic insights into smart strategic decisions on positioning, partnering and being socially responsible:
Positioning the Firm
- How can strategy portfolios guide corporate strategy and help decision-makers scope the activities of their organization?
- How can general strategies help organizations gain competitive advantages in their industries?
- How can organizations create uncontested market space?
Orchestrating Strategic Alliances
- What is the case for cooperative strategy? When should we move from a competitive to a cooperative mindset?
- What are strategic alliances and what is their payoff?
- How can firms build and orchestrate collaborative ecosystems to enhance their (innovative) performance?
Embracing Social Responsibility
- What is the role of business in society?
- To whom are organizations responsible and for what?
- How to encourage ethical behavior and reconcile responsibility and profitability?
All key ideas from the online lectures are illustrated through a real-life case study on Tesla and its role in the technological transformation of the global automotive industry to help you better prepare for real-life situations in your company.
After completing this course you will improve your career qualifications as Business Development Manager , Sales Manager or Consultant. Professionals from the industries of Automotive , IT , Finance , Health Care , Telecommunication and the Energy sector have already completed the course.
This course is part of the "Managing Technology & Innovation: How to deal with disruptive change" MicroMasters program designed to teach the critical skills needed to be successful in this exciting field. In order to qualify for the MicroMasters Credential, you will need to earn a Verified Certificate in each of the six courses of the RWTHx MicroMasters program.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Position your organization in times of transition
- Orchestrate strategic alliances and broader innovation networks
- Assess strategic options not just from an economic, but also from an ethical perspective
THEME 1: POSITIONING THE FIRM
Week 1: Red Ocean Strategy
- Corporate Strategy : Explore the tools that help to decide on the scope of the business.
- Generic Strategy I : Become familiar with cost leadership strategies.
- Generic Strategy II : Become familiar with differentiation strategies.
Week 2: Blue Ocean Strategy
- Blue Ocean Strategy : Understand how to create uncontested market space and make competition irrelevant.
THEME 2: ORCHESTRATING STRATEGIC ALLIANCES
Week 3: Strategic Alliances
- Alliance Purpose : Explore the concept and different types of strategic alliances.
- Alliance Pay-Off : Reflect upon the opportunities and risks of strategic alliances.
Week 4: Collaborative Networks
- Ecosystems : Uncover the key elements of effective ecosystem orchestration.
- Open Innovation : Learn about open innovation as a collaborative approach to new product development.
THEME 3: EMBRACING SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Week 5: Social Responsibility
- Business and Society : Reflect upon the role of business in society and identify its contributions to the public good.
- Corporate Social Responsibility : Unpack organizations’ broader social responsibilities
Week 6: Business Ethics
- Ethics Foundations : Review philosophical approaches that help inform ethical decision making.
- Ethics Applications : Discuss ethical decision making in the context of business practice.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$199 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
Our MicroMasters program consists out of six courses. To gain the MicroMasters credential you need to complete all of the courses. You’re free to choose in which order you would like to take the courses but the chronological order is recommended.
There are always several courses open for enrollment in different runs. To avoid any confusion you’ll find a list of all start dates for the future courses in the different runs following.
It’s not necessary to complete all six courses of the same run to receive the MicroMasters Credential. It only matters that you received a certificate in all six courses in general.
MTI001x : Managing Disruptive Change
MTI002x : Customer-Centric Innovation
MTI003x : Innovation and Creativity Management
MTI004x : Thinking & Acting like an Entrepreneur
MTI005x : Strategic Management: From Intuition to Insight
MTI006x : Strategic Management: From Insight to Decision
MTI – Run 4
MTI004x – 30 January 2019
MTI005x – 27 March 2019
MTI006x – 29 May 2019
MTI – Run 5
MTI001x – 14 November 2018
MTI002x – 16 January 2019
MTI003x – 13 March 2019
MTI004x – 15 May 2019
MTI005x – 17 July 2019
MTI006x – 18 September 2019
MTI – Run 6
MTI001x – 06 March 2019
MTI002x – 08 May 2019
MTI003x – 10 July 2019
MTI004x – 11 September 2019
MTI005x – 06 November 2019
MTI006x – 15 January 2020
MTI – Run 7
MTI001x – 12 June 2019
MTI002x – 14 August 2019
MTI003x – 16 October 2019
MTI004x – 15 January 2020
MTI005x – 18 March 2020
MTI006x – 13 May 2020
MTI – Run 8
MTI001x – 25 September 2019
MTI002x – 27 November 2019
MTI003x – 29 January 2020
MTI004x – 25 March 2020
MTI005x – 27 May 2020
MTI006x – 29 July 2020
MTI – Run 9
MTI001x – 08 January 2020
MTI002x – 11 March 2020
MTI003x – 06 May 2020
MTI004x – 08 July 2020
MTI005x – 09 September 2020
MTI006x – 04 November 2020
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.