About this courseSkip About this course
When a person lives on less than $2 a day — as some 2.7 billion people around the world do — there isn’t room for a product like a solar lantern or a water filter to fail. Investment in failing products undermines future innovation by reducing confidence and depleting scarce resources.
It’s a challenge faced every day by development agencies, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), and consumers themselves. With so many products on the market, how do you choose the right one?
This course, developed by MIT’s Comprehensive Initiative on Technology Evaluation (CITE) will explore the fundamentals of technology evaluation for global development. It includes a deep dive into CITE’s 3S methodology, looking at products from three angles:
- Suitability—does a product perform its intended purpose?
- Scalability—can the supply chain effectively reach consumers?
- Sustainability—is it a product that can be used correctly, consistently, and continuously over time?
This course is designed for academics and global development practitioners; those interested in conducting their own technology evaluations to promote data-driven decisions through research or development practice.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Week one: History of appropriate technology, the rise of technology use in global development
- Week two: History of evaluation, different styles of modern evaluation, and the definition of evaluation; how to conduct desk- and field-based scoping studies, and what a scoping study can teach you
- Week three: Methodology, research design, and applications for product suitability
- Week four: Methodology, research design, and applications for product scalability
- Week five: Methodology, research design, and applications for product sustainability
- Week six: How to complete an evaluation and summarize results for presentation to various audiences, how to generalize results, and alternative approaches to evaluation
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally