What you will learn
- User-centered research skills to gain user empathy through interviews and observations
- Strategies to understand user context to identify and verify business problems
- Ideation and visualization techniques to generate targeted and creative solutions
- Methods for evaluating and applying user feedback from testing models and prototypes to identify preferred solutions
Innovation. Creativity. Strategic thinking. In the past year, more than 279,000 job postings have listed these skills. Another 239,000 mention design thinking.*
Why has design thinking become one of the most sought-after skills? Employers are looking for problem solving, creativity, critical thinking, and analytical skills to enhance the capabilities of their employees to lead their companies into a successful future. Design thinking was developed out of the processes used by designers including user understanding and user experience, however, its application may be used to address non-product oriented problems as well –from innovating new product or service possibilities to implementing procedural change, or identifying a new strategic direction for the company.
In the Design Thinking MicroMasters program, you will learn how to use the design thinking process to solve problems creatively, collaboratively and empathetically. Earning the MicroMasters program certificate will equip you with knowledge of the processes and techniques used to solve problems and innovate in the workplace.
* Source: Burning Glass Technologies
Courses in this program
RITx's Design Thinking MicroMasters® Program
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must successfully earn a verified certificate in all four program courses, as well as the capstone.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who successfully earn the Design Thinking MicroMasters program certificate are encouraged to apply to RIT’s School of Individualized Study for graduate-level program certificate options. Nine credits will be awarded for the Design Thinking MicroMasters program certificate, which will serve as one area of concentration for the Professional Studies master’s degree (which is a total of 33 credits).
Learn more about the degree program
- In a recent McKinsey poll, 84% of global executives reported that innovation was extremely important to their growth strategies, but a staggering 94% were dissatisfied with their organizations’ innovation performance.
- The corporate world has seen an explosion of innovation programs in the past few years, with 38% of the leading 200 companies setting up innovation centers in a global tech hub. (Source, Campainlive.co.uk.)
- The top in-demand skills according to the World Economic Forum include complex problem solving, critical thinking, creativity and emotional intelligence.
Meet your instructors from Rochester Institute of Technology (RITx)
Experts from RITx committed to teaching online learning
Autodesk is becoming increasingly aware of the value of design thinking as we deepen our design practice, and truly integrate it with engineering, product management, and data analysis. Design methods are helping us better see, understand, and act on our customer’s deeper needs and motivations. Tools for better framing problems, interacting with customers and among teams, and communicating solutions are critical for unlocking the business’s potential for growth and driving value in the world. New hires that have exposure and applied experience with these methods have a leg up.