What you will learn
- The tools and techniques to manage the comprehensive project management life cycle for a project - from initiation through closing.
- To balance the critical tradeoffs of time, cost and scope to meet customer expectations.
- The ability to apply best practices across a variety of industries and businesses.
- Lead a project to success, and how to capitalize on the leadership and behavioral facets to do so.
- To navigate the social and cultural aspects, legal and regulatory practices, technology and infrastructure that influence projects’ success in the global market.
The Project Management MicroMasters program from RIT is a graduate level series of courses designed to provide you with the in-depth knowledge and skills needed to be a successful project manager in any industry. This online sequence is a semester’s worth of work from RIT's Master's degree and consists of three courses and a final capstone exam.
By earning the MicroMasters program certificate you will develop the leadership skills needed to effectively manage a team that will meet the expectations of your customers and business goals. Build on your MicroMasters program certificate by applying to RIT’s School of Individualized Study for a customized master’s degree.
Courses in this program
RITx's Project Management MicroMasters® Program
- Started Jan 11, 20214–5 hours per week, for 1 weeks
Demonstrate the knowledge and skills acquired in the Project Management MicroMasters program, and prepare for graduate level program options at RIT.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must successfully earn a verified certificate in all three project management courses, and pass the final comprehensive capstone exam.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible to apply to RIT’s School of Individualized Study for graduate level credential options. The MicroMasters program certificate will count for 9 credits toward a Professional Studies Degree (which is a total of 33 credits).
- Project management positions are growing at 1.5 million opportunities per year. (source: Project Management Institute)
- Median salary for an entry level project manager is $84,000. (source: Project Management Institute)
- Exciting career opportunities across industry domains as project manager, project consultant, project analyst, program manager
Meet your instructors
In an ever-changing business and economic environment, the skills of a project manager are essential to companies like ours – and any organization, for that matter. Employees with these skills will be prepared to successfully navigate complex workplace challenges.
- The final capstone exam will be offered on a set schedule (most likely two to three times per year) and will be administered via a virtual proctor. The details are being worked out, but the first exam will not be offered until late 2017 at the earliest.
- Certificates are issued by edX under the name of RITx and are delivered online through edx.org.
- You will receive an individual verified certificate for each Project Management MicroMasters program course that you pass as a verified student. Students passing the final capstone exam and all three Project Management MicroMasters program courses on a verified track will receive a MicroMasters program certificate.
- Yes. Since the courses are self-paced, you may progress through them at your own pace as long as all graded activities are completed by the course close date. To earn the Project Management MicroMasters program certificate you need to successfully earn a verified certificate in all three Project Management MicroMasters program courses and then pass the comprehensive final capstone exam.
- Yes. If you are interested in the Project Management MicroMasters program certificate, you must successfully pass and receive a verified certificate in each of the three Project Management MicroMasters program courses (PM9001x, PM9002x and PM9003x) as well as successfully pass the final capstone exam.
- Completing the listed prerequisites or ensuring equivalent understanding of the knowledge of the prerequisites is strongly recommended in order to be successful in the course work.
- Having the MicroMasters program certificate provides the admissions committee with significant insight into a student’s capabilities through the completion of three online courses and the capstone exam. Also, if admitted, students with the MicroMasters program certificate may opt to complete the masters online or on campus at a pace that best suits his/her learning needs.
- Yes. You need to be admitted to the Master’s program. The MicroMasters program certificate does not guarantee admission. It does allow us to look at a more expanded track record for each applicant. The Learner will need to complete the application process to RIT and the School of Individualized Study in order to be considered for either program. For more information visit: http://www.rit.edu/ritonline/ritx/micromasters/project-management-pathways
- The PMI PMP certification is an industry recognized certification that is managed and awarded by the Project Management Institute. The PMP has more stringent pre-requisite requirements than the Project Management MicroMasters program and is therefore not an available option to many learners that are new to the project management field but are seeking a credential in the project management field that will be recognized globally. The Project Management MicroMasters program certificate will enable students toward their PMP, if desired, by providing project management education to be used to gain the multi-year experience requirement required by PMI.
- No. The Learner will need to complete the application process to RIT and the School of Individualized Study in order to be considered for either program. For more information visit: rit.edu/ritonline/ritx/micromasters/project-management-pathways
- The final will test knowledge across all three project management courses. It will be a virtually proctored timed exam and will feature problems similar to the graded assignments and course quizzes in the three project management courses as well as some writing.
- The Project Management MicroMasters program is intended for those who have completed a Bachelor’s degree or have a minimum of 5 years of work experience in a project-related business environment. Recommended education or work experience in organizational behavior, mathematics and basic accounting or equivalent.
- Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.