What you will learn
- An understanding of the prominent perspectives, trends, and challenges of leadership styles in development.
- The ability to apply critical reasoning to the analysis of development-related issues.
- Critical knowledge of the science, practice and policy of sustainable pathways to development.
- Skills in adaptive development practice, in finding local solutions to complex problems, and for scaling those solutions to improve policy.
Are you working in the development sector and looking to take the next step in your career? International and community development aims to reduce poverty and improve the living standards, health and quality of life for those who need it most. As the challenges we face become more complex we need qualified and skilled professionals to lead across sectors and organizations.
Balancing theoretical knowledge with practical abilities, the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program provides the strong technical and management skills you need to tackle the most demanding and complex challenges in global development. This program certificate will demonstrate that you have the advanced competencies that international development agencies are increasingly demanding from their leaders and managers.
After gaining a verified certificate for each of the four prerequisite courses you will be awarded the MicroMasters program certificate in Leadership in Global Development.
Build on this program certificate and apply to one of UQ’s on-campus Postgraduate Programs in Global Development. More information about this program, including the other entry requirements, is available via UQ.
Courses in this program
UQx's Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters® Program
- 9–12 hours per week, for 10 weeks
Learn key leadership skills, concepts and theories needed to be a successful leader in development.
- 10–12 hours per week, for 10 weeks
Gain the skills to be an adaptive leader in development & learn how to uncover local solutions to complex problems in developing and developed countries.
- 10–12 hours per week, for 11 weeks
Gain insight into the different perspectives & trends facing development workers to lead more effectively across sectors & organizations.
- 8–10 hours per week, for 11 weeks
Learn the critical foundations of sustainable development and how to achieve the UN's Sustainable Development Goals that are deeply interconnected in the field.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all four Leadership in Global Development courses.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate may be eligible for credit into The University of Queensland’s Masters Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Learn to test new ideas, hone your creative problem-solving skills, and drive business growth in any organisation or industry.
Otherwise, complete the Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation program. Students will be able to select from a range of fields of study: Biotechnology; Design and Information Technology; Food Entrepreneurship; Social and Community Entrepreneurship; and Sustainable Energy. Students will also have the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills on real business cases through our unique capstone courses.
Depending on the program entry method, you may be eligible to receive one semester equivalent credit (8 units), reducing study time by 6 months. Students will need to complete the remaining 12 months of full-time study (16 units) on-campus.
If you use a MicroMasters program certificate as a basis of entry to a UQ Master’s program, academic credit cannot be granted for this MicroMasters program in accordance with the University’s recognised prior learning policy. If you use an alternative method of entry (i.e., not a MicroMasters program) into the program, you may be eligible for credit. Please refer to the FAQs below for further information.
Find out more at Business School Study Options or reach out to our Business School Student Administration Team at email@example.com.
- Exciting career opportunities are available with multilateral and bilateral aid agencies, aid contractors, government departments, non-government organisations and mining and other private sector companies.
- Development industry representatives have expressed the need for professionals who have both the contextual knowledge and the leadership skills to manage increasingly complex problems.
- The demand for development professionals in the private sector is also increasing.
- This innovative and multidisciplinary credential will set you apart from an increasingly competitive job market.
Meet your instructors from The University of Queensland (UQx)
Experts from UQx committed to teaching online learning
Overseas Development Institute (ODI)
At ODI we aim to inform global policy and practice leading to poverty reduction and sustainable development. We believe the world needs leaders who can draw on practical experience and applied research to tackle effectively the complex challenges of national and local development. With its unique blend of development and management theory and practice, the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters provides future leaders with the skills they need to act constructively in different development contexts and help to bring about lasting progress.
AECOM Pty Ltd.
I’m excited to see this innovative new credential; it fills an identified gap in the development education sphere and will positively contribute to the professionalisation of the industry. The high-quality suite of courses on offer are cutting-edge and highly relevant to current development challenges.
- To enrol in the Master of Business or Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation program, learners must apply and qualify for program entry requirements. Find out more at: https://business.uq.edu.au/study#qt-study_studylevel_selector-foundation-tabs-2 or reach out to our Business School Student Administration Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Existing UQ students are permitted up to 8 units (or four courses) credit based on the completed MicroMasters program for academic credit towards the Master of Business or Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation program. Credit can only be granted to certain components of your program so it’s important to check before you commence your MicroMasters program. If you have any questions about applying for credit or your study plan, please reach out to our Business School Student Administration Team at email@example.com.
- Students who use the MicroMasters program certificate as a basis of entry to UQ’s Master of Business or Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation program will not be permitted to earn academic credit from the MicroMasters program in accordance with the University’s recognised prior learning policy at https://ppl.app.uq.edu.au/content/3.50.03-recognition-prior-learning. If you meet entry to UQ’s Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation program based on an alternative method (i.e., not a MicroMasters program), you may be eligible to earn academic credit. Please reach out to the Business School Student Administration Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.