What you will learn
- How to build and renew trusting relationships by following principles of leadership development and effective communication techniques.
- How to implement personal strategies for leadership development to survive and thrive amidst change.
- How effective communication can lead to communal and societal good.
- How to understand the role of formal and informal authority and maintain effective interpersonal communication skills in both.
- When and how to employ a variety of communication styles in writing and speaking.
- How to craft compelling presentations and persuade an audience.
What makes an effective leader? How can you not only employ better communication strategies, but motivate people to tackle tough problems and achieve goals together? Examine how to improve your leadership communication style, improve decision making, and develop as a leader in this two-course series.
In the first course, Exercising Leadership: Foundational Principles, learn how to be an effective leader and motivate your team while navigating change and tough challenges.
In Rhetoric: The Art of Persuasive Writing and Public Speaking, explore proven communication techniques and strategies to learn how to articulate your ideas to achieve your goals. Learn from some of the most persuasive leaders from the last century about the ethical use of rhetoric, dialogue, listening, and self-criticism.
Courses in this program
HarvardX's Leadership and Communication Professional Certificate
- “53% of leaders indicated that building skills was the best way to close their company’s capability gaps in the next year” – McKinsey Survey
- "Companies that are highly effective communicators had 47% higher total returns to shareholders.” (Source: Towers Watson, Capitalizing on Effective Communication: p.2)