What you will learn
- What data engineering is, what the modern data ecosystem looks like, and the data engineering lifecycle. You will also be provided with a taste of a day in the life of a Data Engineer and tips from professionals on starting your career in this discipline.
- The fundamentals of Python programming, including data structures, the use of files, invoking APIs and libraries such as Pandas, NumPy and performing extract, transform and load (ETL) processes.
- The principles of relational databases including Database Design, creating tables, using constraints, and working with MySQL, PostgreSQL & IBM Db2.
- How to use Structured Query Language (SQL) to query a database. Use SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements, database functions, stored procedures, work with multiple tables, JOINs, and ACID transactions.
Data engineering is a growth tech segment, with considerable demand for skilled data engineers. Data engineering makes quality data available for business operations, business intelligence and data-driven decision making.
This six-course Professional Certificate from IBM is an excellent base for those interested in a career in data engineering. Through these data engineering courses, you will learn the core principles and get to practice your new skills with hands-on labs. You will learn about the data engineering ecosystem, data integration pipelines, data repositories, Business Intelligence and Reporting tools. You will understand Data repositories, such as relational and non-relational databases, data warehouses, data marts, data lakes, and big data stores, as well as how to store and process this data.
The certificate starts with an introductory course, then progresses through how Python is used by Data Scientists, in Artificial Intelligence and Development, and gives you the opportunity to create a Python project to put these skills into practice. The certificate then covers relational databases and SQL.
This Professional Certificate does not require any prior programming or data science skills. These online learning tools will provide you with practical skills and experience in collating data from data sources for factual analysis and providing organizations with the basis for data-driven decision making.
Courses in this program
IBM's Data Engineering Fundamentals Professional Certificate
- 9–10 hours per week, for 4 weeks
Learn about data engineering concepts, ecosystem, and lifecycle. Also learn about the systems, processes, and tools you need as a Data Engineer in order to gather, transform, load, process, query, and manage data so that it can be leveraged by data consumers for operations, and decision-making.
- 2–5 hours per week, for 5 weeks
This Python course provides a beginner-friendly introduction to Python for Data Science. Practice through lab exercises, and you'll be ready to create your first Python scripts on your own!
- 2–4 hours per week, for 4 weeks
Learn how to use and apply the powerful language of SQL to better communicate and extract data from databases - a must for anyone working in the data science field.
- The Dice Tech Job Report lists data engineering as the fastest growing tech occupation with a year-over-year growth of 50%. Companies are competing to find the right talent so it is expected to grow even further in years to come.
- Healthcare, Technology, and Consulting are the three fields with the largest need for data science talent as a whole, including data engineering, but every sector will have a growing need for this discipline.
- Data engineering jobs are listed as one of the top 10 jobs in Glassdoor’s best jobs in America for 2020.The criteria for the listing includes earning potential, job satisfaction ratings, and number of job openings.
Meet your instructors
Experts from IBM committed to teaching online learning