About the program
- Top-ranked program: Join a top 35 online computer science master's program, ranked by U.S. News and World Report.Footnote 2
- No GRE required: Fuel global innovations in computer science without standardized test score stress.
- Orange alumni network: Graduates prepared to drive new developments in the field, excel in a wide variety of industries and join the College of Engineering and Computer Science’s global alumni network of more than 20,000 tech professionals.
About Syracuse University
Syracuse University is a private research university with dynamic professional programs, innovative learning opportunities, and the Orange network. Located in the heart of New York State, the university offers 200+ majors and 100+ minors to 20,000+ students across the globe.
Technology and services powered by 2U, Inc., the parent company of edX.
Course spotlight: Machine learning
This course examines the relationship between machine learning and computer security and outlines the basics of machine learning theory and its methodologies. In addition to evaluating complex research problems, students learn high-level topics, including:
- Inductive learning: Discover the algorithms that work as the backbone of machine learning capabilities.
- Neural network approaches: Explore the functions of neural networks, a subset of machine learning that mimics the cognitive functions of the human brain.
- Computational learning theory: Measure how well a machine can comprehend tasks using mathematical frameworks.
- Fraud detection: Learn how to protect essential assets and information from unauthorized criminal activity.
Prospective students interested in this program should possess a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field from an accredited institution, with an average GPA of 3.0 or better. No GRE scores required. To complete an application, you will need to submit:
Letters of recommendation
Frequently asked questions
Computer science is the study of design, development, and analysis of computer software. It can be applied across nearly every industry to solve problems using the core principles of mathematics, engineering, and logic. Emerging applications of computer science include machine learning, artificial intelligence, and big data analytics.
Computer science degree programs typically require some level of prior knowledge in discrete mathematics, calculus, data structures, and computer programming.
Earning your master’s in computer science can increase your earning potential, expand your professional network, and help you better compete for leadership and management positions compared to computer science professionals who only hold a bachelor’s degree.
Graduates with degrees in computer science often earn higher-than-average salaries in a variety of fulfilling careers. For example, the average salary in 2021 for a computer and information research scientist was $131,490.Footnote 3
The annual mean salary in 2021 for a computer and information research scientist in New York was $133,660.Footnote 4