There is one session available:
There is one session available:
Introduction to Biology - The Secret of Life
About this courseSkip About this course
Read fully to understand the verified-certificate option. Join Professor Eric Lander and the MITx Biology team in an exciting learning experience available for free to all enrolled learners. The 7.00x Introductory Biology course materials are available for exploration and completion by registering as an auditor or verified-track learner, including video, interactive problem sets, and exams. We strongly encourage you to work through the activities, towards a goal of learning biology. We have optimized the course settings for learning: instant feedback after trying problems and all content available at all times for self-paced progress. You receive feedback on correctness of answers, but the problem submissions do not count toward the grade for a certificate. Instead, we offer a thorough and robust means of certifying edX learners in their mastery of the MITx introductory biology content, through a the MITx 7.00x Introduction to Biology Competency Exam. This challenging option is available only to those who register for the verified-certificate track, and successful completion of this exam is the only assessment that counts toward a certificate. We highly recommend preparing for the Competency Exam certification by using the current course materials and MIT OpenCourseWare problems. The Competency Exam is offered in the last week of every course run.
7.00x is an introductory level biology course hosted by professor Eric Lander, who was one of the leaders of the Human Genome Project. The course content reflects the topics taught in the MIT introductory biology courses and many biology courses across the world. As a learner, you will first focus on the structure and function of macromolecules such as DNA, RNA and proteins. You will discover how changes in the structure of some of these macromolecules alter their functions and what the implications of such changes have on human health. As you continue in the course, you will apply an understanding of heredity and information flow within cells to human health and disease and will learn about molecular biological techniques and their potential to impact our changing world. After you complete this course, you will have a foundation in biology that will allow you to understand the remarkable medical revolution going on today.
MITx 7.00x: Introduction to Biology – The Secret of Life will let you explore the mysteries of biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, recombinant DNA technology and genomics, and rational medicine. Good luck in your journey!
At a glance
- Institution: MITx
- Subject: Biology & Life Sciences
- Level: Introductory
High school level biology and chemistry recommended. A desire to learn is required.
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English, 中文
- Associated skills: Genetics, Genomics, Ribonucleic Acid Sequencing, Molecular Biology, Biology, Macromolecule, Auditing, Recombinant DNA Technology, Biochemistry
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- How to describe the building blocks of life and how their interactions dictate structure and function in biology
- How to predict genotypes and phenotypes given genetics data
- How to explain the central dogma of molecular biology and convert DNA sequence to RNA sequence to protein sequence
- How to use molecular tools to study biology
- How to describe the principles of early sequencing as well as modern sequencing and the effects of these technologies on the filed of genomics
- How to apply the principles of modern biology to issues in today's society
Learner testimonialsSkip Learner testimonials
"Dr. Lander's [7.00x] course is a rare gem...The course is very polished and well-organized -- much more than any other course I have taken either online or at the University." - student onCourseTalk