What you will learn
- Gain proficiency in structural behavior and design.
- Learn relevant codes and standards for the design of steel and concrete structures.
- Explore structural behavior and design analysis of prestressed and post-tensioned concrete and use in construction.
Civil engineers design, build, and maintain the nation’s infrastructure including buildings, bridges, dams, and power plants. Several material applications are discussed in conjunction with concrete design.
This MicroMasters program will expand the knowledge base of civil engineers with basic training in structural analysis and design. The courses are taught by Purdue University’s reputed, research faculty who bring application knowledge to the instructional content. Purdue is a renowned public university, consistently ranking in the top 10 for engineering programs.
Courses in this program
PurdueX's Structural Design MicroMasters® Program
- Started Mar 15, 20212–3 hours per week, for 8 weeks
Learn fundamental concepts and applications of welded built-up steel plate girders including proportioning, flexural and shear strength, and local and global stability.
- Started Jan 19, 20213–4 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Learn the fundamentals of prestressed concrete design and the mechanics of how prestressed materials work under load. The prestressing mechanism provides strength for tensile forces when the material is in service; a common example of use of prestressed concrete is in parking garages.
- Started Mar 1, 20213–4 hours per week, for 5 weeks
Learn the essentials of design of pretensioned concrete structures. A common design application is in a wide range of building and dam structures where improved performance of prestressed concrete can allow for longer spans of material.
- Started Mar 29, 20213–4 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Learn the essentials of design of post-tensioned concrete structures for use in concrete slabs or in preventing cracks and leakage in concrete water tanks.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all of the courses in this program.
Learners who complete and earn a verified program certificate will also earn 9 CEUs.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
The Structural Design MicroMasters program is comprised of foundational courses from Purdue Civil Engineering’s full Online MSCE , in the Infrastructure, Resiliency and Sustainability track. The MicroMasters program can serve as a helpful introduction to the degree experience, as well as strengthening an application to the Online MSCE. If admitted, MicroMasters program completers have the opportunity to apply up to 6 credit hours toward the 30 credits required for a Master’s degree.
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) also offers a pathway to credit toward RIT's Master of Science in Professional Studies. If accepted into the program at RIT, students will be eligible for up to 9 credits which will serve toward one concentration required for this interdisciplinary degree. The MS in Professional Studies – which can be completed online or in-person – is a customized, flexible program that meets industry demand by enabling students to strategically combine multiple, complementary fields of study to reflect their unique career and educational goals.
- Labor Statistics projects 6.3 percent employment growth for civil engineers between 2018 and 2028. In that period, an estimated 20,500 Engineers will be needed.
- Career Prospects include Functional and Project Managers, Structural Designer, Structural Engineer, Structural Detailer, Design Engineer.
- Civil engineers with ample experience have opportunities as functional managers of design and construction. Only licensed engineers can assume responsibilities for public projects.
Meet your instructors
Experts from PurdueX committed to teaching online learning
- Structural design engineers conduct an engineering analysis to determine the stresses acting on the structure. Based on the analysis, they design a structure with certain materials, apply reinforcements to the materials, and detail them to meet specifications. This approach has widespread application in large infrastructure construction.
- If you have completed an applicable Purdue University MicroMasters program with a grade of B or higher, a maximum of 12 credits may be applied if you are accepted into the MSCE program. While your performance in a Purdue MicroMasters program will be an important evaluation factor, admission is not guaranteed.