What you will learn
- Describe what networking is and how it can help you reach your professional goals.
- Identify your goals for networking.
- Introduce yourself in English, keep a conversation going, and leave the conversation.
- Write professional emails to make new contacts and follow up with people in your network.
- Identify your network and your unique characteristics and skills.
- Use LinkedIn and business cards to make and maintain connections with your network.
- Use informational interviews to expand your network.
Networking is important for job hunters, people changing or entering careers, entrepreneurs, and people in all areas of business. This four-course, 16-week program provides learners with English grammar and vocabulary to identify and expand their social networks. Learners will explore their current network, write emails, create an “elevator speech,” prepare for and attend a networking event, as well as conduct informational interviews to strengthen their job skills.
This program is appropriate for an audience who speaks English as an additional language at the intermediate level.
Courses in this program
UWashingtonX's English for Business Networking Professional Certificate
- 3–5 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Learn the basics of networking while you grow your social network and professional connections. Practice speaking to improve your English language skills for increased success in job hunting.
- 3–5 hours per week, for 4 weeks
Improve your writing skills. Write effective emails including great subject lines, greetings, and closings. You’ll be more confident as you communicate for business, send messages, expand your network, and search for jobs in English.
- 3–5 hours per week, for 8 weeks
Improve your ability to meet new people. Learn to give an “elevator pitch” (speech) to introduce yourself to new people and to highlight your key qualities. Make connections with people and use your skills to attend a networking event.
- 3–5 hours per week, for 8 weeks
This is the capstone networking course. Put all the skills that you have learned into practice. You’ll introduce yourself, write effective email, highlight your best qualities, and conduct an informational interview with a person of your choice.
- This program provides skills that are particularly useful for persons in sales, human resources, and marketing, as well as entrepreneurs and owners of small businesses.
- It may also be helpful to persons applying for entry-level jobs or post-secondary education.
Meet your instructors from University of Washington (UWashingtonX)
Experts from UWashingtonX committed to teaching online learning
In today’s global arena, the ability to collaborate effectively with others is an essential competency for professionals. Mastering the listening and communication skills involved requires an investment in learning and practice. The benefits include building a rich personal network to support your personal and professional objectives, leveraging the resources and talent of teams, and establishing understanding and trust that translates into productive working relationships. Our mission at Fluency Group is empowering people and organizations to communicate, collaborate and perform on the global stage to achieve their goals, and we’re happy to support this valuable program by the University of Washington which supports this endeavor.